33.5 C
New Delhi
September 22, 2020
KhabriBaba
India

Mobile, internet suspended following Mangaluru violence

Reading Time: 2 minutes

The Karnataka government has suspended mobile and Internet services in Dakshina Kannada district on Thursday night for the next 48 hours after two persons were killed in police firing during violent protests in Mangaluru against the controversial citizenship law.

IMAGE: Police personnel and protesters clash during a rally against the amended Citizenship Act and NRC in Mangaluru. Photograph: PTI Photo

The decision to suspend Internet from 10 pm was taken in order to prevent misuse of social media platforms to disturb peace and tranquillity, and for maintaining law-and-order situation, according to a notification.

 

The decision has been taken on the request of the state police chief. Police have also clamped curfew in parts of the city till Sunday midnight.

Police lobbed tear gas shells, resorted to baton charge and fired in the air to disperse people protesting against the amended Citizenship Act in Mangaluru.

Police sources said protesters attempted to lay siege to the Mangalore North police station and tried to attack police personnel, following which force was used to disperse them.

Two persons received bullet injuries in police firing and they later succumbed at a hospital, the police said.

According to the notification, the Mangalore police commissioner has informed that incidents involving violation of Section 144 had been reported in different parts of Mangaluru and there were probabilities of more such incidents, which may adversely affect the law-and-order situation.

The commissioner has also informed that were incidents of vandalism and arson.

Via: PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

0 0 vote
Article Rating

Related posts

With China reluctant to disengage, India holds high-level meet

Ritu Nandal

COVID-19 death toll rises to 324, total cases climb to 9,352

Ritu Nandal

Kerala reports first Covid death of 69-yr-old man

Ritu Nandal
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Translate »
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x