Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday addressed the nation on the occasion of 73rd Independence Day.
Modi led the nation in celebrating the event at the Red Fort by hoisting the national flag at the ramparts of the historic Red Fort in Delhi.
Addressing the nation for the first time after coming back to power with a huge mandate, the prime minister touched upon many issues including scrapping of Article 370, triple talaq and many more.
Here are the top quotes from his speech.
1. We have taken some very significant decisions in the first 10 weeks itself to ensure that the nation sees unhindered growth. The removal of Article 370, Article 35-A and ban on Triple Talaq have been important steps. We have fulfilled the dream that Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel had for India
2. Our government does not delay decisions. We neither nurse problems nor keep them pending
3. The spirit of One Nation, One Constitution has become a reality now. And India is proud of it
4. Why did those who are supporting Article 370 make it a permanent provision for J and K and kept it a temporary measure
5. Scrapping of instant triple talaq will help Muslim women live a better life. The decision should not be seen through a political prism…if we can take steps against ‘Sati’ custom, female foeticide and dowry, then why not against instant triple talaq
6. Today, India is talking about One Nation, One Election. It is good that such a discussion is taking place
7. Every effort made to remove corruption and black money is welcome. These are menaces that have ruined India for 70 long years. Let us always reward honesty
8. Our forces are India’s pride. To further sharpen coordination between the forces, I want to announce a major decision from the Red Fort. India will have a Chief of Defence Staff- CDS. This is going to make the forces even more effective
9. There is one issue I want to highlight today- population explosion. We have to think- can we do justice to the aspirations of our children. There is a need to have greater discussion and awareness on population explosion
10. Today, the entire world faces the threat of terrorism. We must deal with it collectively. India will certainly do its bit to fight terrorism
11. I always ask can we not remove the excess influence of governments on people’s lives. Let our people have the freedom of pursuing their own aspirations, let the right eco-system be made in this regard
12. Wealth creation is important for us as only then wealth distribution will happen; need to respect those who create wealth
13. Our focus now is to build on 21st century India–the way it moves forward, how it functions and how it thinks. It is time to fulfil the dreams and aspirations of people
14. People’s thinking has changed. Earlier, people were happy with merely a plan to set up a railway station. Now people ask- when will Vande Bharat Express come to my area. People do not want only good railway stations or bus stations, they ask when is a good airport coming
15. Let us make local products attractive. May more export hubs emerge. Our guiding principle is Zero Defect, Zero Effect
16. I am confident that India will soon become open defecation free country