A 42-year-old worker died allegedly after an ammonia gas leak at a Haldiram’s building in Noida, while more than 300 others were evacuated from there on Saturday, officials said.
The leakage was reported around 12 pm, prompting immediate deployment of police force, firefighters and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), they said.
There are two adjoining units of Haldiram’s in the building, one was the production unit and the other was its cooling or the maintenance unit, an NDRF official said.
“The gas leak had occurred through the valve of one of the four ammonia condensers in the maintenance unit where around 22 people were working and evacuated. One of them was taken to a hospital, where he died later,” NDRF Assistant Commandant Anil Kumar Singh told PTI.
The man who died has been identified as ammonia operator Sanjeev Kumar, he said.
More than 300 other workers were in the production unit and they were also evacuated immediately and the building marked isolated for the time being, he said.
A team of 47 NDRF personnel was at the spot and the situation was brought under control by 3 pm, as firefighters and Noida Police officials, including senior officers, remained deployed at the site.
“An alert call was received on emergency 112 service of the police. People were immediately evacuated from the building,” a police spokesperson said.
Image only for representation.